April 3, 2019
Eliminate Over the Air Antenna Interference
There has been a rise in the number of cord cutters who are opting for the best or the effective way t watch all of their favourite local TV news and sports. The over-the-air TV antenna is considered to be one of the best ways to watch local channels absolutely free of cost. So just by installing the right type of TV antenna, you can get major broadcasting channels such as, Fox, ABC, PBS and CBS to name a few. One of the critical aspects that should be taken a note of for receiving interference free over-the-air signals is the surrounding around the TV and your home. Also how far you are from the broadcasting tower would matter when it comes to receiving strong or low signals. The local television stations normally broadcast their programs in a radio wave signal form. When you have minimal to no obstruction in between the TV antenna and the broadcasting tower, then it would mean that you can receive strong reception signals. Strong signal reception would mean that you can now receive maximum number of channels absolutely free of cost.
But when there are certain obstructions then it would mean that the signal strength would not be strong which in turn can impact certain channels. Let us have a look at few of the common obstruction examples that can lead to low quality OTA signals.
Trees: Yes, you heard that right. We all know that trees are very much required for the environment. But at the same time, that 100feet trees just outside your house can be one of the reasons for the blockage of the over-the-air TV reception.
Taller Buildings: In case if you have a large concrete building that stands tall in between the local broadcasting tower and your antenna then it can lead to blockage of TV signals. Many a times, it has been seen that those buildings which have a mirrored exterior surface can also lead to multipath interference since due to the shiny surface the signals bounce back.
Mountains: In case if the local TV broadcasting tower is situated just behind the mountain then there would be a problem in receiving all of the local channels. Also if you are residing in a deep valley then signal strength would be a cause of concern.
Construction Materials: We all are aware that satellite radio signals and the cell phone signals are unable to pass through the parking garages. Similarly, the rebar or the concrete construction can have a tendency to block the TV signals. Hence it is always advisable to not place a TV antenna in the basement or in the window that has a security mesh since it can lead to signal interference.
LED bulbs: Have you ever noticed that your TV signal gets weak during night time or you may not get certain channels in the night. Probably the light in your room is creating a havoc. The old or the low quality LED bulbs may lead to interference causing blockage of signals. You may not face this issue with new or good quality LED bulbs.
Power Lines: Though the power line is not something that comes directly in front of the TV antenna but the overhead power line can reflect the signals coming from the broadcasting tower. This would lead to reduction in the capacity of the antenna.
How to eliminate the OTV TV interference?
Now that we have a clear idea as to what can probably lead to TV signal interference, let us have a look at some of the ways on how these interferences can be eliminated.
- For identifying the exact cause of TV signal interference, first and foremost you should be troubleshooting your TV which would help in identifying what can be the probable cause of this interference. Try to look above the cable connection which brings the video and the audio signal to the TV. In case if this cable has not been inserted in a proper manner completely to the TV then there can be audio or video interference.
- With the increase in number of gadgets at home, the exact cause of interference may be tricky to identify. Try to move away any of the wireless device from the TV set. Few examples, include the mobile, radios and other since the TV would start to pick up the signals that come from other gadgets leading to interference. Also there are other appliances such as electric heater, refrigerator, blender and so on that we use on a daily basis. These can also cause interference in the signal. Just try unplugging all of these appliances and then slowly turn on those gadgets, one by one. You would get to know the actual culprit creating the issue.
- Trees, mountains and buildings as mentioned earlier are few of the common causes of interference. In such cases, you cannot go about getting down the building or cutting the tree. But you can surely do something that can increase the signal strength. Just try getting an amplifier if you do not have one with the TV antenna. Just hook up the TV antenna to the amplifier and carry out a scan. An amplifier is best known to boost the TV signal strength thus helping to block the interference. Another thing is to try and place the antenna high up as possible before you try the amplifier.
- It has also been seen that metal object can also cause interference. Hence try placing the metal objects far away from TV.
- There would be a need for LTE filter if you reside close to a cell tower. This LTE filter helps in filtering out the 3G and 4G frequencies interference thus mitigating the TV signal issue that you would probably be facing.