May 25, 2017
IT Outsourcing: 3 Reasons, Risks, and Rewards
When evaluating the possibility of outsourcing IT support services, businesses should consider the reasons, risks, and rewards. While the positives seem to outweigh the negatives, especially for small businesses concerned about costs, a critical eye is necessary to determine what will work best for your operations.
Reasons to Outsource IT Support
Companies cite a variety of reasons for deciding to outsource. Here are some of the top ones:
- Plan for Fixed and Reduced Operating Costs. Outsourcing IT support helps a business avoid paying for a full-time staff member and a team of support. Businesses also avoid auxiliary benefits such as health insurance, vacation time, and 401K payments as these don’t apply to outsourced companies.
- Remove Distractions from Primary Goals. When a company is new or still in the growth phase, the main focus should be growing your production or service delivery, not on IT issues. Managers who have their hands full can only oversee so much.
- Get Expert Knowledge with Minimal Cost. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to access the level of knowledge and capability of an IT support company if you were handling IT needs on your own or even hiring an employee. There are so many factors to successful IT implementation that even IT departments need to bring in consultants for special projects.
Risks to Outsourcing IT Support Services
Making the move to hand over data and equipment to an outside source can be harrowing. Business owners sometimes feel anxious thinking that they will no longer be in complete control. Nagging doubts like wondering if the right company was hired or worrying about how they will get along with other staff members can cause owners to question their decisions. When consider outsourcing, there are some potential risks.
- Not every IT issue is a simple fix. For the most part, IT Support companies can handle just about anything you throw at them, but every now and then, there is an IT issue that is complex and difficult. It is during these times you will be glad you selected a thorough partner who can manage such difficulties.
- Yes, you do have to give up some control. You are bringing in an outside vendor to handle confidential data. There is no way around that, so you need to absolutely feel comfortable with the provider you select. Make sure they are certified, reputable, and have positive reviews for their service.
- Some employees may be offended. IT is an area that some employees hope to “grow into.” While we appreciate their lofty goals, comprehensive IT support is not something that can typically be a one man or one woman operation with on-the-job guinea pig training.
The Rewards of Outsourcing
When you have done your due diligence, and have selected a high-quality company like an IT support vendor, Prosyn, you can feel confident of the rewards that are to come.
- High-level technology. An IT support provider helps you to maximize your dollars to provide the latest in technology and efficiency.
- The number one reason to outsource – cost savings. Reduced overhead and sound purchasing decisions will help your bottom line.
- Impressive IT team members. When you hire the experts in the IT field, you will continually be impressed by their service delivery and proactive nature to keep your business technology running smooth.